Sunday, November 8, 2015

I will go, I will do!

A year ago today my life changed in a way to effect the eternities.

As my sweet Dallin was admitted to the Dixie Regional Medical Center in St. George, UT. I realized in a most reluctant way that life would never be the same. As we got settled into the ICU, I learned of another family that shared a very similar journey with us. I was introduced to Jesse Shipp, a father and precious husband who along with his perfectly sweet family would change my life forever. His son a young high school stud had been in an ATV accident exactly one week before our arrival. He like Dallin was also in a coma and suffered a severe brain injury. My heart broke. In this very moment I had a strong feeling and the words came to my mind, "This boy is going to be the one that walks out of here not Dallin." Now, in my inexperienced mind I thought no, no you need to have more faith. This has led me to learn a great lesson, that faith and fear cannot coexist with one another. Also faith is learning to accept those things that the spirit is whispering to you. I knew in my heart Britton was going to pull through. I knew it so deeply that I was getting it mixed up with the fear of Dallin never waking up. Over the next 13 days we saw Britt progress and change in ways Dallin did not. I prayed so hard that once they finally could get the MRI everyone would see a miracle and everyone would know that the Lord is truly on our side. My dear friends the MRI came back and it was everything one hopes to never hear about the love of their life. But, in that very moment as the neurosurgeon looked me square in the eye's my life was flipped upside down. As the news sank in and I was comforted by the holy ghost I knew what was going to come next. I knew in the deepest part of my heart and soul that the Lord was in fact on my side, no matter what. We as a family were going to have to unplug my love. I for one second had the feeling of incredible jealousy for our dear friends down the hall. I wanted their outcome. I wanted Dallin to wake up and come home. I very quickly was taught that we had a different path to walk. 
Recently I read of Britton getting up in sacrament meeting, baring his testimony and saying "When God said I need someone to go down there and have a serious brain injury and change their life" he raised his hand and said he'd do it! As a family we believe Dallin also raised his hand. What a great example these two men are. One leading his life here on earth and the other in paradise.  
 I am so grateful for the wonderful Shipp family. They have touched so many lives and influenced so many of us to continually build our relationship with our Heavenly Father.  
I know that my Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ love me and are very aware of my life. A month and a half after I said goodbye for now to Dallin. I was given the greatest blessings of all, our sweet son. I may not know all of the "whys " but, I do know that I am watched over. The evidence is overwhelming. I know through the power of the atonement baby Levi and I will be reunited with Dallin once more. Until then we will live our lives to the fullest. 





Book of Mormon 
1 Nephi 3:7
 And it came to pass that I, Nephi, said unto my father: I will go and do the things which the Lord hath commanded, for I know that the Lord giveth nocommandments unto the children of men, save he shall prepare a way for them that they may accomplish the thing which he commandeth them.

Ether 12:27
 27 And if men come unto me I will show unto them their weakness. I give unto men weakness that they may be humble; and my grace is sufficient for all men that humble themselves before me; for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them.

3 comments:

  1. You never fail to uplift... You are so amazing, Carissa!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love you Carissa! Thanks for sharing your faith.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My precious daughter, I just read this again and am reminded of how very blessed we are to have you in our family. Dallin knew what he was doing when he chose you to be his wife. You are an amazing daughter of God, a beautiful young woman, wonderful mother and noble eternal companion. I am so proud of you and I know with all of my heart, Dallin is too. Thank you for being you and for sharing your strength and faith with all who know you. I love you! <3 <3 <3

    ReplyDelete