Tuesday, May 5, 2015

Feel the spirit and do it anyway!

The other day I was outside doing yard work, feeding the animals, folding up tarps, basically just cleaning up from the winter time. These were activities Dallin and I always did together. We believe in working together and spending time with one another and for our lifestyle outside chores was a big part of that. As I worked now by myself part of me felt relief accomplishing something that Dallin would appreciate yet, I do miss him dearly. As I worked I received a call from Kenworthy Monuments. They were calling to tell me that my husbands monument was ready to be installed. I had thought about this moment many times since I finalized the design a couple months back. I loaded up Levi and headed up to Gunlock Cemetery to witness my husband be memorialized here on this beautiful earth. As I made the 20ish minute drive I battled with and overcame my emotions. Emotions are very different than feelings. Emotions can be twisted and pulled and distorted into ways that feelings do not. When I say I battled with my emotions this is because it is not hard to drift into what I call "Satan territory" the negative, depression and deep deep sadness. The beautiful challenge and our purpose on this earth is to overcome that evil one and rise above him with the support and continued help from our loving Heavenly Father.  It is called the "Plan of Happiness" for a reason and those reasons become more relevant to me as I take action and do those things that invite the spirit into my life but, more importantly act upon those promptings and continue in faith. Happiness does come and just as I trust my Heavenly Father to help and inspire me. He also has trust in me that I will follow and act upon His council. I feel as though Dallin say's it best from an entry in his missionary journal.
"Our Father in Heaven often let's us act and see for ourselves and to learn. Which is why most revelation comes through our own thought's and our own questions. When we teach others by far the best way to get them to learn is to get them to ask a good question so they can teach themselves. The Lord also teaches us in this way, He leads our own thought's to teach our own self. Other ways he also uses to answer can be through other's, through scriptures, through the deep impression of the spirit with our spirit. But, these answers come to the worthy seeker who try's THEIR BEST. Trust in the Lord and in His time and in His justice and mercy. Love thy God for He loves you. Love Elder Hunt"

It is an exciting thing to feel a prompting from the spirit, act on it and see the amazing result. Even as I write this post I felt a prompting while watching the men so carefully and respectfully place Dallin's monument that I needed to write about it. So here I am following the spirit. Honestly, I don't know what will come of me writing this but, I truly hope I can have a positive affect. 

Standing there in the Gunlock Cemetery among many of the old and weathered monuments of Dallin's ancestors was very touching. As I watched a brand new, fresh monument be placed to tell the world that Dallin James Hunt was here and he lived! He lived a life centered around family, the gospel, service, fun, adventure, love and so much more. Many remember Dallin because he either helped them or they saw him help someone else in need. He had a gift for feeling, following the spirit and sharing the true love of Christ with those he came in contact with. Stranger, long time friend or family member he showed the love of his savior through countless hours of service. 
We need to follow his example, be open and willing to feel or hear the spirit speak to you and be brave. Be brave enough and strive everyday to take the action and be your best self, the self that your loving Heavenly Father is proud of. 

Lets be awesome for the ones we love!

3 comments:

  1. Very beautiful Carissa! You are doing so much good by being yourself! We love you and little Levi!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this, Carissa! Such a treasure to have Dallins thoughts in his journal! I love what he had to say and I need to follow both of your examples and write more of my testimony for my own family. You continue to amaze me!
    Allison M.

    ReplyDelete